Thursday, June 21

Surely you can't be serious...

... alas, yes. ;-)

Found out yesterday that I didn't get the job I applied for awhile back. Despite the fact I received a letter stating that there were not enough candidates sufficent to proceed to interview stage, therefore the vacancy would be re-advertised and my application would be put forward with the next batch, I didn't even get an interview.

Personally, with it being the Welsh Books Council I probably wasn't Welsh enough (check out the list of employees - I don't think there's one Anglicised name in the list...)

Anyway, it did get me down a little - I mean, you would think I would be quite sufficiently qualified to take on the responsibilities of "Publishing Grants Officer" but then perhaps I'm not...

To console myself, picked up a copy of Airplane! (Special Edition) for three quid in Tesco and sat down with a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale last night and laughed my arse off.

Despite repeating the script verbatim, tears continued to rolled down my face when Randy the stewardess serenaded the little girl; when McCloskey picked the wrong week to quit smoking/drinking/sniffing glue; Ted Striker asked the guy to pinch him; and the whole "Over, Victor, Roger" scene, and a whole host more.

And my job woes were gone... until I woke up this morning.

Ah well, and don't call me shirley.

5 comments:

Gary said...

Bad luck on the job front, my man... but that's not important right now.

Need to get Airplane, especially if it's only a couple of quid. I think the sequel's worth getting if only for the scene where Shatner appears to be on a monitor screen... before opening the wall up and walking in.

Ah, the classics...

Chris said...

I didn't see the sequel on offer, but Shatner's whole performance steals the film, "well make them blink in sequence!" :)

Bob Lock said...

I think Shirley quite suits you :P

Anonymous said...

There's always something better around the corner :>)
Ally

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the job but, if it's any consolation, I was "a hot prospect" for a local council job here, according to the agency, but wasn't asked to attend an interview. Ho hum.

I picked up the £3 "Airplane" in Woolies (along with a friction-powered model of 'Brum', that rocks from side-to-side as it goes, which Matthew loved but I fear I might have broken, trying to get that friction-power sound up to subsonic levels!) on Saturday - brilliant! Did you watch it with the trivia track on?